In July 1950, HA. “Andy” Andersen with no more than a borrowed pick-up truck and a few thousand dollar loan, struck out on his own and started Andersen Construction Company.
Andy's first project—a small concrete tilt-up warehouse and office—still stands near the corner of 12th Avenue and Sandy Boulevard in Portland, Oregon. Our relationship-based approach to contracting and expertise in concrete construction propelled our growth and provided an increasing number of building opportunities. In 1960, we established ourselves as a major Oregon Contractor through four significant downtown Portland construction projects: the 300,000 square foot United States Main Post Office; the 16-story Standard Insurance office building; the City's 10-story 4th and Yamhill Parking Garage; and Portland's then tallest building—the 500 room, 22-story Hilton Hotel. Today the goal is the same as it was in 1950: to build a project the client and entire design & construction team is proud of.