It all began in October of 2008 when Christian A. Farland, P.E., purchased Thompson Surveying and Engineering which was located in Marion, MA. The company was originally started by Arthur C. Thompson, P.E., and P.L.S. in 1952 as Thompson Surveying and Engineering. Mr. Thompson was known throughout the South Coast area as one of the finest civil engineers and land surveyors. He was born in New Bedford but moved to Marion where he lived as a very active member of the town. His detailed records and satisfied clients are a part of the legacy that he left behind. Along with the purchase, the company was renamed to Thompson Farland, Inc. (TFI) Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors and moved to New Bedford, the hometown of Mr. Farland. Mr. Farland is a lifelong resident of New Bedford and an active member of the community. He is honored to continue the Thompson legacy by providing professional service and outstanding customer service to all of their clients.
Although TFI was only incorporated in 2008 its history is tied to one of the oldest firms in the Northeast. The Firm Hayward-Boynton & Williams Inc. (HBW) was acquired by TFI in 2011. Prior to the acquisition, HBW had been providing continuous engineering and surveying services since 1880. During that time the company had continually expanded to provide high quality services, primarily in the Southeastern Massachusetts area but also extending throughout the state of Massachusetts and into Rhode Island.